Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Persian Frenzy


This is the third Persian dish that I attempted to make. The result turned out to be alright. My first dish was a great success, I think. And the second one not too bad. I haven't put up the recipe here for the first two, but I will do so the next time I make them again. So here's the one I made today...

Adas Polow (Lentil Rice)

200 g lentils, washed and cooked until tender in salted water
500 g long grain or basmathi rice
400 g ground beef or lamb
1 cup raisins
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric
cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Firstly, soak the rice in water for at least 30 mins. The original recipe requires me to soak it for 3 to 4 hours but I couldn't wait that long.


2. While the rice is soaking, fry the onions in oil until slightly golden.


3. Add the ground beef/lamb, salt and pepper and fry over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Add one cup of hot water and cook further until it becomes almost dry. Remove from heat.


4. Next, cook the rice in boiling water until the rice soften just slightly. Drain and wash the rice with cold water.


5. In a non-stick pot or rice cooker (I used rice cooker), pour oil into the pot. Add in half the rice, followed by the cooked meat, lentils and raisins. Pour in the remaining rice and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.


6. Dissolve saffron in 1/3 cup of hot water and pour over rice. Mix the rice well before serving.


I don't know what you would think about this recipe, but I like it. And the rice is to be eaten on it's own as it is considered as a complete meal. Very nourishing. Give it a try!

No comments: